{Front Yard People}
Hospitality is my jam! I admit it. I love having folks over, whether it's outside at our picnic table or indoors around our dining room table. God has taken this passion of mine and has grown it quit a bit the last few years.
To begin, I read an amazing book back in 2016 that awoke me and made me crave real hospitality. It was called, A Meal with Jesus by Tim Chester. If you have a desire or passion for hospitality, I HIGHLY recommend beginning with this book.
So fast forward now to July of last year (2018) ... I came across a book called The Turquoise Table on audible and gave it a listen. Within a week our lives were changed forever. I listened to the book in a weekend and by the next week was searching for the perfect table to set out front. I don't want to spoil the whole book, but the basic concept is that everything you would normally do in the backyard, bring to the front! Get to know the people living around you and share life with them. So that's just what I was after. I searched but at the time we didn't have a whole lot of extra spending cash, so I prayed. And within a few weeks we had a beautiful turquoise picnic table - and thanks and praise to God for the affordable cost too!
So it began. We had a table out front, I hung some pretty white lights in the tree above it and I began doing things in the front yard. It was near my birthday, so I began with a simple first party. We invited a few neighbors we knew and had them join us for dessert and pizza around the table. The next month we hosted a neighborhood ice cream social! And had quit a few join us. By Thanksgiving we hosted 9 different families from our sweet little neighborhood for a Thanksgiving feast! It was incredible and so much fun. Then came our ugly sweater party we did in December. This was a fun one because we not only invited our neighbors but our church family and friends as well! So it was a fun mix of everyone.
By late fall, people in our neighborhood knew us by our table and lights, and our crazy crew of children that constantly shouted hello as folks strolled by. (sorry guys!) But it was what God was doing to me on the inside that I love to share. God used this simple table and the fantastic (and highly recommended) book to release me into the freedom of true biblical hospitality!!! It's not about having things perfect and tidy, having the best food or recipe, or even about having a plan - it's about being there and being open to sharing life with others. Letting God lead you to His plan for each day. There were literal days, when I had nothing planned and would pray for God to use us/me as He saw fit ... and boy did you do that! He would bring neighbors by that needed to chat or open my eyes to who needed to be asked over for dessert and a time of calm under the white lights and starlight. I've chatted with my neighbors about parenting, recipes, car issues, dream jobs, highlights and low lights of life, death of family members, scripture, good books, what the newest and best technology is, homeschooling, vacation plans, all the way to birth stories! The array of conversations is unending. I've loved it! God has taught me to slow down and not be so rushed to entertain, but to instead sit and truly listen to hearts.
This year, between travel for fundraising and sickness/surgeries, we haven't had as many gatherings - but we are excited to host our first one of the summer this month!! We will heading out door to door this week to pass out the invitations.
I don't want it to sound perfect - it hasn't been, and I've messed it up from time to time. But to be honest it's grown me. Ya know, I feel like it just adds some authenticity to each relationship. It's good for people outside our home to know we aren't perfect, that we have shortcomings and mess up too. I'd even go as far to say, that in exposing the sin I struggle with, others begin to see the work of the gospel I believe in. My neighbors have heard me yell at my kids, they've seen Tim and I argue, and they've probably even seen me mumble words under my breath as pick up broken dishes or toys, and I know they've seen me cry. I was very encouraged and challenged through yet another incredible hospitality book called, Just Open the Door. Here the author, Jen Schmidt says,
I'll try to summarize it quickly, but if you're close to me, I'd love to share this in person and chat your ear off about all I've learned and am still learning about biblical hospitality. I even have a stack of book recommendations that have helped me out of my comfort zone and into my front yard!
It's been a long time coming, I've always enjoyed having folks over. I even remember asking my mom on Sunday afternoons or evenings if I could invite families over for lunch or dessert. It's a gift God has given me, and it's taken time for me to let Him strip me of my selfish desires of entertaining and truly let Him use me to be a hospitable servant. I have a long way to go still, but am thrilled and excited to share all He has done these last few years.
It's been a long time coming, I've always enjoyed having folks over. I even remember asking my mom on Sunday afternoons or evenings if I could invite families over for lunch or dessert. It's a gift God has given me, and it's taken time for me to let Him strip me of my selfish desires of entertaining and truly let Him use me to be a hospitable servant. I have a long way to go still, but am thrilled and excited to share all He has done these last few years.
So fast forward now to July of last year (2018) ... I came across a book called The Turquoise Table on audible and gave it a listen. Within a week our lives were changed forever. I listened to the book in a weekend and by the next week was searching for the perfect table to set out front. I don't want to spoil the whole book, but the basic concept is that everything you would normally do in the backyard, bring to the front! Get to know the people living around you and share life with them. So that's just what I was after. I searched but at the time we didn't have a whole lot of extra spending cash, so I prayed. And within a few weeks we had a beautiful turquoise picnic table - and thanks and praise to God for the affordable cost too!
So it began. We had a table out front, I hung some pretty white lights in the tree above it and I began doing things in the front yard. It was near my birthday, so I began with a simple first party. We invited a few neighbors we knew and had them join us for dessert and pizza around the table. The next month we hosted a neighborhood ice cream social! And had quit a few join us. By Thanksgiving we hosted 9 different families from our sweet little neighborhood for a Thanksgiving feast! It was incredible and so much fun. Then came our ugly sweater party we did in December. This was a fun one because we not only invited our neighbors but our church family and friends as well! So it was a fun mix of everyone.
By late fall, people in our neighborhood knew us by our table and lights, and our crazy crew of children that constantly shouted hello as folks strolled by. (sorry guys!) But it was what God was doing to me on the inside that I love to share. God used this simple table and the fantastic (and highly recommended) book to release me into the freedom of true biblical hospitality!!! It's not about having things perfect and tidy, having the best food or recipe, or even about having a plan - it's about being there and being open to sharing life with others. Letting God lead you to His plan for each day. There were literal days, when I had nothing planned and would pray for God to use us/me as He saw fit ... and boy did you do that! He would bring neighbors by that needed to chat or open my eyes to who needed to be asked over for dessert and a time of calm under the white lights and starlight. I've chatted with my neighbors about parenting, recipes, car issues, dream jobs, highlights and low lights of life, death of family members, scripture, good books, what the newest and best technology is, homeschooling, vacation plans, all the way to birth stories! The array of conversations is unending. I've loved it! God has taught me to slow down and not be so rushed to entertain, but to instead sit and truly listen to hearts.
This year, between travel for fundraising and sickness/surgeries, we haven't had as many gatherings - but we are excited to host our first one of the summer this month!! We will heading out door to door this week to pass out the invitations.
I don't want it to sound perfect - it hasn't been, and I've messed it up from time to time. But to be honest it's grown me. Ya know, I feel like it just adds some authenticity to each relationship. It's good for people outside our home to know we aren't perfect, that we have shortcomings and mess up too. I'd even go as far to say, that in exposing the sin I struggle with, others begin to see the work of the gospel I believe in. My neighbors have heard me yell at my kids, they've seen Tim and I argue, and they've probably even seen me mumble words under my breath as pick up broken dishes or toys, and I know they've seen me cry. I was very encouraged and challenged through yet another incredible hospitality book called, Just Open the Door. Here the author, Jen Schmidt says,
"It's not about me. I have nothing to prove. He delights to work with my imperfections. If people are blessed and impacted, it's only because He's gracious to take a broken, weary, and unimpressive woman and use her desire for serving Him to point others to Jesus, in spite of herself."
It's been through hospitality that God has gave me lessons in trust, humility, and faith. He's also shown me just how deep His love goes, challenging me to love more. Learning to offer what I have first to God and then letting Him filter it to be used how He desires. It's a process and will probably always be one, but it's worth it!! Giving God my home and life to use as He desires has been the most rewarding experience these last few months and year.
I could go on for much longer, about the things I learned, the people I've met, the parties we've thrown, but I want to challenge YOU to make your own stories. Ask God to give you courage to reach out to someone new. Maybe a neighbor you've always seen but never met, or a new co-worker. You don't have to go crazy and invite the whole neighborhood right off the bat, (unless God asks you to - then do it! You won't be disappointed at what He will do!), rather invite a few at time. Have ice cream, share an evening dessert, have a bonfire with smores. Give your time, your home, your yard, and your life to God and then watch what He does with it.
It's been through hospitality that God has gave me lessons in trust, humility, and faith. He's also shown me just how deep His love goes, challenging me to love more. Learning to offer what I have first to God and then letting Him filter it to be used how He desires. It's a process and will probably always be one, but it's worth it!! Giving God my home and life to use as He desires has been the most rewarding experience these last few months and year.
I could go on for much longer, about the things I learned, the people I've met, the parties we've thrown, but I want to challenge YOU to make your own stories. Ask God to give you courage to reach out to someone new. Maybe a neighbor you've always seen but never met, or a new co-worker. You don't have to go crazy and invite the whole neighborhood right off the bat, (unless God asks you to - then do it! You won't be disappointed at what He will do!), rather invite a few at time. Have ice cream, share an evening dessert, have a bonfire with smores. Give your time, your home, your yard, and your life to God and then watch what He does with it.
"If our table isn't open, whose will be?"
-Jen Schmidt
-Jen Schmidt
_________________________________________________________________________________
Highly Recommend Books to read on Hospitality ...
1. Meal with Jesus - Tim Chester
2. The Turquoise Table - Kristen Schell
3. Just Open the Door - Jen Schmidt
4. The Simpliest Way to Change the World - Dustin Willis & Brandon Clements
5. The Gospel Comes with a House Key - Rosaria Butterfield
![]() |
| MY FAVORITE!!! I reread her words and chapters often! If you want to dig deeper, grab this book and a cup of tea and get reading!!! |




Comments
Post a Comment