{Homeschool Happenings}
So shifting gears a bit here. Wanted to touch base on how homeschooling is going. Seems like things have been so on/off this year due to packing, moving, adjusting and more adjusting. But we've learned a lot still and am back in the swing of things now.We began term 2 this month! We've completed a few books and are about to finish a few more. We began Shakespeare last week, and much to my surprise it's a favorite. Our morning time routine has really flourished and has become a stable group time of fun, laughter, at times frustration, but overall a good time of learning all together. We go over our memory verse, read the bible, review our letter, color and shape of the week, play with some kind of manipulative, do our read aloud, sing a hymn and throw in some kind of science a few times a week. Oh and we've really grown to love our nature observations and journaling through out the week. It really has been a great time of learning. I feel like it's really a large bulk of our "school time". And I'm okay with that, most days. Other days it seems to be a time where nothing gets accomplished due to how many times I have to stop for arguments, disobedience, or some kind of "emergency". We are learning together though.
As I look to the spring and summer seasons I'm filled with delight to think of all the wonderful places we can begin to "do" school. There are so many gorgeous parks and trials around here and with the weather being so much warmer and nicer then Michigan (most of the time...) I'm anxious to get outside our home and explore. We've been to a handful of new places and have found a few new favorites. We've begun our list of "need to visit"! Can't wait.
Theo & Norma are learning their letters and sounds slowly. We are working thru the rest of Theo's preschool Zoophonics worksheets/animals. They really seem to love it. So for each letter there's an amimal that matches the sound and a movement that emphasizes the sound. We've had fun reviewing and doing a new letter each week. So far we really love Jerry the Jellyfish! :) They also have learned to my phone number, are working on the letters in their name, and have a quick memory for the verses I give them every other week. I'm always amazed at how quickly they learn and take to heart these verses. We will begin to work on our address later this month along with the letters in our last name.
Milo is sailing through 2nd grade. Reading chapter books aloud and for fun through out the day. His handwriting is better then Daddy's and he's working hard on his spelling. He is beginning to enjoy the challenge of our weekly spelling review! We've finished Singapore Math 1B and are well into 2A. Math comes easily for him! Last term we read through Understood Betsy. When I began it I wondered if it would keep his attention and thought " uh, another old story". Um, NO way! Guys, if you have time, read it! It's so entertaining and so full of childhood lessons and learning. The story is great!! It's heartwarming. He had it listed as a favorite when we reviewed our fall.
I also have begun prepping for next year. I spent about a week researching, reviewing, and organizing my thoughts and findings to put together next years curriculum for fall. We will have a 3rd grader, kindergartner, and preschooler!! WHOA! I can't believe how quickly school years are moving. I knew I wanted to continue with amblesideonline with Milo, but they don't really have a set curriculum for the K year. I found a few gems and started piecing them together to make our year. I found this AMAZING site where she made her own K Charlotte Mason year. So I'm taking some ideas and plans from her PDF and adding them to a few of my own plans. Looking forward to having it all here and planning it all out! (If you haven't noticed, I LOVE organizing and planning things! haha)
While searching I began listening to more podcasts focused on homeschooling the younger years. This is more for momma then for the kids, but it's important that I keep learning and loving to learn alongside them! If you're a homeschool mom or a mom of littles I highly recommend these few podcasts. I've really come to LOVE these gals and their input. So nice to know I'm not alone or the only one groing crazy sometimes. haha
1. Schole Sisters
2. Your Morning Basket with Pam Barnhill
3. Homeschool SnapShots with Pam Barnhill
4. AfterCast with Brandy Vencel
These are the few I've listen to regularly but have others on my list still awaiting the time I get to them. I'd love to hear your favorite podcasts!! And they don't have to be homeschool related... sometimes it's nice to turn that part off and focus on other things... I'd love for you to share them with me in the comments!
Well for now, I think I've recapped what I could or what I remember. Overall, I've grown to love homeschooling so much more through this year already and I've learned so much right along with them. It's so great! And I have been reminded, sometimes hourly, that I can't do this alone. It's only through God's strength and grace that I can keep on raising them sweet arrows that He's graciously given to me.


Comments
Post a Comment