Bedtime


So I've been thinking a lot lately about all the big changes on the horizon and want to capture this moment in time and seal it up. Not that I'm opposed to all the fun that lies ahead for our family, but just the simplicity of our lives now. It's got it's crazy times and days when I want to hide away but I know that simple and what most would call “easy”... and I LOVE IT! The fun mornings with Daddy, the nights spent rocking with you, the evenings of watching you chase and play with ZuZu girl , it's the little things that fill my mind and put a smile on my face. So before things start to change too much and we welcome baby Theo into the world... hopefully soon, I wanted to take a few minutes and capture one of my favorite “routines” of this moment.



Bedtime.
It started off as a way to get you to realize it was time to relax for the night... back when you were like oh I don't know a month old. But now, oh now it's something I love in our daily lives. And not for the, “i can't wait to have time to myself and not have to parent” moments (altho some days I'm sure the thought has crossed my mind...), no, but the joy and fun it's turned into. And how you know just what comes next. I guess some would say that's bad or that we're setting ourselves up for a kid who can't handle change; but I look at it with joy! When we say bedtime... you're off!! We start by brushing your teeth with Daddy and your Thomas toothpaste. It's a fun to hear you talk about and see you enjoying brushing your teeth every night! It's an extra bonus to you when we join in too! (altho that's usually in the morning...) Then it's “naked time” as you run to your room and I help you get your clothes off. And I'm impressed, you're getting quit good at getting things off yourself. It's fun to see you grow but sad too – in a motherly kind of way. Then, this is one of my favorite parts, you go racing thru the house naked to the shower! Thrilled to “get clean” as you put it. Daddy usually washes you up and gets you all cleaned and you get SUPER excited about “sud showers”, which is apparently just Dad rinsing off your loofa over your head. But it's adorable. You shout “SUD SHOWER!” and start a little mini dance. I should get that on camera. We've had to change up the routine a bit after shower tho, due to the colder weather and my ability to get low on the ground after a long day of play but you know still we get you lotioned, get your pj's on (which as of right this second your favorite pj's are Thomas, your “poppy pj's”, and your Lightening McQueen ones. Altho we were just given some firetruck ones that may top the list.), and brush your hair. Your “crazy hair” you call it, because well honestly by morning it is crazy! Stands up every which way and makes us chuckle! Then you run around a bit more to get that final burst of energy out & give ZuZu hugs, Daddy big bear hugs & kisses, Theo hugs (yes- I absolutely adore that!!) and sometimes kisses, and momma hugs & kisses too. Then you call ZuZu into your room with Daddy & I and climb in my lap in the rocking chair. We snuggle in with your friends, Georgie & little Georgie, along with green blankie and your tractor blanket and then we read your little kid bible. It's not a real bible, it's a kid version of the bible for ages 6mth-3yrs. And I know we'll start reading the big bible with you soon, but you LOVE this bible. You know some of the stories and like to point things out before I even read it & I'm pretty sure we've read it at least 35 times if not more! We'll read 2 or 3 stories and then do prayer time.
It's a joy to watch you fold your hands and let mommy and daddy pray with you. Tonight, you even asked to keep praying when we were done... I had forgotten to pray for your cousins. So we had to add on some extra prayer time for them... afterwards I asked if that was better and you simply responded “much better”. So sweet.
And it's not just at bedtime when you like to do this either. You like to play with some smaller bibles we found, pretending to read them and then closing them, folding your hands and praying. I'll hear names in between “babbles” and then finally at the end a strong “Amen!”. Oh the Joy that fills my heart when I see this.
After prayer, there's some more kisses for mom & dad, and then it's Kenny G time- yup still got that going on. (started back at 2 months of age. We turned him on our iPod and you shut right up and fell asleep. Have had the same christmas play list on every night now since. I think we're up to some 10,800+ plays if you check it on my iTunes. Ha!) Some nights you wanna rock with momma and other nights you just want me to sit next to the bed and rub your arm. You're not always or should I say you're rarely do you fall fast asleep after I leave the room but it's a work in progress. No 2 year old likes staying in bed or at least not one that I've met. And you actually do fairly well at it. Nap times are usually best. You stay put for those pretty easy but there's something about bedtime. Not sure what it is. You have to try at least once to get out and it always ends the same way for you, so I'm not sure why and it sure is puzzling at times. But after a while you drift asleep and as we peak in on you from time to time thru the rest of the night (and lately when I get up in the middle of the night for potty breaks), the priceless picture of you fast asleep with all your friends and blankies, dreaming, twitching, & at times thrashing around & know my day is complete.


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. It's these insights that help others to know you, even when we're rarely together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There's No Place Like Home

{FIVE.2019}

So Much Thankfulness