Pregnancy & Christmas
11 days to go!! Our countdown is getting closer … and altho we have
plenty of time, it seems as tho it's taking forever! Between fake
contractions and real contractions that won't stick longer then 2 or
3 hours at a time, little Theo is just prepping us all and making
sure we are completely ready for his arrival I suppose. Altho, in
these last few weeks as the Christmas bug is catching on and the
songs, stories of the Nativity, & pictures of the manger start
showing up everywhere, being pregnant takes on a whole new look.
I
keep picturing her, Mary, at such a young age preparing to be a
mother. And not just a mother to anyone, but the mother
of the Jesus!! I do remember the scare of the unknown of motherhood,
and the questions that kept coming when we found out about Milo. And
I still have plenty of questions with the second child … but I just
can't imagine knowing that the child I would give birth to is God's
son & God had chosen me to do the job!! Can you imagine that?!?!
I
know in the end of every pregnancy (so i've been told) that every mom
looks at the child that she just gave birth to and all the pain,
morning sickness, uncomfortableness, sleepless nights (both pre &
post pregnancy), & all those horrible days of just being huge –
all those terrible feelings pass. They are lifted and forgotten.
Makes me wonderful what were the struggles of Mary's pregnancy. Was
she super sick? Did she get HUGE? Was there any way to relieve the
uncomfortableness of the daily life of pregnancy???? But can you
imagine looking into the eyes of newborn Jesus?! Closely snuggling
the tiny child that would soon save man? I feel not only would all
the months of craziness and sickness pass, but how unworthy I would
feel knowing what He would do for me!!! How little a chore labor is
compared to dying on a cross. (Something special that I'm keeping in mind as my "labor" day soon approaches)
Another
fact I just can't wrap my mind around … she rode on a donkey, for
miles while pregnant! And here I am complaining about riding in our
comfy cozy car down the road & back. Can you imagine? Those last
few months when things start really popping and becoming miserable;
just hopping on a donkey and riding into a different town. Not only
would that be SO uncomfortable, but she had no idea when things would
progress … not knowing what kind of roof, if any, would be over
her.
I'm
a huge planner (shocker, I know), and the idea of not knowing who,
where, and how I'll be delivering my children – yikes!! Talk about
a panic attack! The fear of the unknown – I'm sure there's a good
“phobia” name for it, but I would classify myself as one of the
highest forms of it. And here Mary is about to be a first time mom &
traveling across the lands. And where does she happen to have her
baby?! In a stable of all places!!! Seriously, as a woman who's had a
kid once (almost twice), if I knew I was having God's child I think
I'd be a bit more “uppity” then Mary was. I mean the thought of
laboring and delivering my son next to hay, cows, donkeys, and all
their nice “treats” around the stable … gross!! Now I know
there's no commentary on this story in the bible by Mary, but it sure
would be fun to hear what she was thinking and frankly saying about
this whole thing. It'd be hard to except … even not being the
mother of Jesus.
But
what amazes me is that this simple act of bearing the child of God in
a stable – the lowliest of places; with the animals, dirt, &
probably some other unpleasantness was to show us one thing. God's
love. God loves us so much that he gave us his son, who came to this
world, not on a throne, not in a “normal” birthing situation
(which I'm not even sure what that would look like back then...), but
in a barn. He grew up and had one job. To die for us. For my sins and
for your sins. A perfect man on earth, who gave his life & loved
even those he had never seen, for generations to come. How powerful
the message of Christmas truly is. And how wonderful the reminder for
myself; as I sit and eagerly await the arrival of my baby. The
emotions and reactions of how Mary gave her self to be used of God
for God's glory. And how humble she was thru it all.
I
pray as the days draw closer to our big “due day” that God will
use both my children and our family for His glory and honor. That we
may truly remember what this holiday season is really about and that
when they place baby Theo in my arms for the first time, may I be
reminded of the powerful love of Christ Jesus, who died so that I may
live.
That's
some mighty powerful love.
And
as the days pass, and as the the hustle of the holiday continues I
want to remember this awesome quote that was given to me this week at
a women's event at my church -
“Christmas
has NOTHING to do with Black Friday and EVERYTHING to
do with Good Friday!” - Sally Baucke
So
much truth in that saying.



Comments
Post a Comment